Chapter 17: DATA SUFFICIENCY
Each question given below has a problem and two statements
numbered I and II giving certain information. You have to
decide if the information given in the statements is
sufficient for answering the problem.
Indicate your answer as
(а) if the data in statement I alone are sufficient to answer
(б) if the data in statement II alone are sufficient answer
(c) if the data either in I or II alone are sufficient to
answer the question;
(d) if the data even in both the statements together are not
answer the question;
(e) if the data in both the statements together are needed.
Problems and Answers
Q. What is Reena's rank in the class ?
- There are 26 students in the class.
- There are 9 students who have scored
less than her.
A. Option (e) as both statements are needed.
Q. Who is the father of M ?
- A and B are brothers.
- B's wife is sister of M' s wife .
A. Option d - as both statements don't
answer the question.
Q. It is 8.00 p.m. , when can Hemant get
next bus for Ramnagar from Dhanpur ?
- Buses for Ramnagar leave after every 30 minutes, till 10
- Fifteen minutes ago, one bus has left for Ramnagar
A. Option e - both statements are needed to
say next bus leaves at 8:15pm
Q. When is Manohar's birthday this year ?
(Bank P.O. 1993)
- It is between January 13 and 15 January 13 being
- It is not on Friday.
A. Statement I is enough to say that
birthday is on 14 January ,Thursday.
Q. The Chairman of a big company visits one
department on Monday of every week except for the Monday of
third week of every month. When did he visit the Purchase
- He visited Accounts department in the second week of
September after having visited Purchase department on the
- He had visited Purchase department immediately after
department but before visiting Accounts department.
A. Statement I is sufficient to say that the
purchase dept was visited on first week of September.
Q. How many brothers does Tarun have
- Tarun's father has three children.
- Tarun has two sisters
A. Option e - as both statements are needed.
Q. Which day of the last week did Satish
meet Kapil at Kapil's residence
- Kapil was out of town from Monday to Wednesday. He
returned on Thursday morning
- On Friday night Satish telephoned his friend to inform
that only yesterday he had got approval of Kapil after
personally explaining to him all the details.
A. Option e - both statements are needed.
Q. How many sons does D have
- A' s father has three children.
- B is A' s brother and son of D.
A. Option d - As both entries only say that
A has 2 sons but the third child could be a boy or girl and so
both statements don't suffice to answer the question.
Q. What is the total monthly salary of Vasu
- Vasu's basic salary is Rs 100 more than Rajan's basic
salary who also serves in Vasu's company.
- Other allowances drawn by Rajan besides his basic salary
are Rs 2000 per month which is Rs 50 less than Vasu's
- Ryan' s basic salary is Rs 1550 per month.
A. Vasu's basic = 1550+100 = 1650 Vasu's
allowance = 2050 adding both we get his total salary so we
need all three statements together.