Chapter 6: MINISTRY OF
PERSONNEL, PUBLIC GRIEVANCE AND PENSIONS
Nodal agency for public grievance, pensions and administrative
reforms. It has following departments:
- Department of Administrative Reforms & Public
- Department of Personnel & Training (DOPT)
- Department of Pensions & Pensioners’ Welfare
Functions of the Department of Administrative Reforms &
Public Grievances (DARPG):
- Grievance redressal for central government matters
- Liaison with state governments on public administration
- Organization and method.
- Office procedure manual for central secretariat.
This means "service quality excellence". The DARPG has issued
guidelines to departments to ensure excellence in service
- Citizen charter: Inform citizens about
list of services with time line of completion and quality
standards. Also inform about grievance redress.
- Grievance redress: Redress grievance
within time limits.
- Public service delivery capability: Augment
human and technological resources for better service
Role of Department of Personnel & Training
- It acts as the formulator of policy and the personnel
management watch-dog of the Government.
- It also advises all organizations of the Central
Government on issues of personnel Management.
- Cadre controlling authority for the IAS. Mid career
training for IAS.
- It is also responsible for formulation and coordination
of training policies for the All India and Central
Services and providing support for the capacity building
of State Government officials.
- Training and capacity building of state and central
- Processing of applications of appointments and
promotions for approval of Cabinet Committee on
- Administrative vigilance.
The two organizations through which the Department ensures
recruitment of personnel for the Government:
- Union Public Service Commission (UPSC)
- Staff Selection Commission (SSC)
- Public enterprise selection board
- Civil service board: Headed by cabinet secretary for
appointments ofdeputy secretary and above
Agencies for Personnel Grievance redressal
Joint Consultative Machinery
There is a well-structured machinery for joint
consultation between the Central Government and its
employees on a wide variety of service matters having
a bearing on the administration and the general interests of
the Government employees.
It is a three-tier machinery consisting of the National
Council, the Department Council and the Regional/Office
- Improve efficiency and standards of work.
- Welfare and conditions of service and work for
- Promote harmonious relations between central government
JCM doesn't cover Group A&B officers, police personnel,
Board of Arbitration
It is for compulsory arbitration of complaints related to
pay and allowances, weekly hours of work and leave or
holiday. If disputes couldn't be resolved by JCM then Board
of arbitration is setup.
- Chairman: Independent
- One member each representing staff and government as
Awards of arbitration are binding on both sides. Government
can reject award if parliament approves.
Board works under administrative control of Ministry of
Score more than 80% marks and move ahead else stay back and read again!