Chapter 8: SOUTH AMERICA
America has three topographical regions: Eastern region, western
highlands and Paraguayan region below the eastern region.
the north, llanos grasslands are seen. These are treeless
Savannah with swampy grass. Salves are equatorial forests.
river system is the main river system. Petroleum reserves are
present at the mouth.
desert located on the rain shadow region of the Andes range.
Fig 1: South American landforms
crops are cocoa, avocado, coffee, pineapple and rubber. Tropical
regions grow crops like corn, potato, tomato, tobacco.
Mediterranean climate is seen in middle Chile where viticulture
and livestock farming is seen.
is the longest mountain range. Angel waterfalls, Venezuela is
the highest waterfalls.
- Fourth largest continent and fifth in terms of population.
- Sao Paulo, Brazil is largest city. Brazil is largest country.
- Amazon is the second longest river after Nile but largest in
terms of volume of water it carries.
- Lake Titicaca between Peru and Bolivia is the highest
commercially navigable lake in the world and largest in South
- Atacama desert in Chile is driest in the world.
- Puerto Toro, Chile is the southern most inhabitated
place in the world. Ushuaia, Argentina is the southern most city
in the world.
- La Paz, Bolivia is the highest capital city in the world.
- Amazon rainforest is the largest in the world.
Score more than 80% marks and move ahead else stay back and read again!