Chapter 2: PRE HISTORIC CULTURE
The Indian history is divided into following
Old Stone Age [Paleolithic]
Middle stone age [Mesolithic]
New stone age [Neolithic] and Metal
The dates of these periods are overlapping. They
are arrived at by using scientific calculation like carbon
dating and dendro chronology
[counting tree rings in wood].
Paleolithic age: Before 10000BC
- Located in rock shelters and caves.
- Found close to water bodies.
- Hunting and gathering edible foods, tubers.
Mesolithic age: 10000 BC to 6000 BC
- Lived in rock shelters and caves.
- Settled for long periods in a place so
cultivation and agriculture is practiced.
- Domesticated animals found.
- Bow and arrow was used in hunting – gathering
- Burial of dead started.
- Microlithic artifacts.
Neolithic age: 6000BC to 4000 BC
- Agriculture, domestication of animals, polishing
tools and manufacturing pottery.
- Mud brick houses, polished tools, cultivation
- Transportation using animals and burial using
- Advancements in agriculture and clothes of wool
- Copper and bronze were used.
- Smelting and crafting metal artifacts were
- Implements were used in agriculture.