Chapter 7: PUBLIC AND
Public and Private Administration
Political character is present in the form of direction and
control. Breadth, scope and impact along with consideration
is on the entire society. Accountability to public. Must
have consistency in treatment. External financial control by
legislature. Service and community welfare are motives.
Rigidity in operation due to various law, rules and
regulations. Monopolistic services,urgent and vital for
societies existence and more comprehensive functions.
Anonymity and ministerial responsibility.Private
organizations are compact, insular, autonomous in action.
Public administration is concerned with nation building,
shaping future societies so more value oriented.
Efficiency criteria are different:
- Management efficiency: Use of management techniques like
work study, network techniques, appropriate methods and
- Policy efficiency: Choose appropriate programs and make
- Service efficiency: Clientele satisfaction and
- As all enterprises need planning, command, coordination,
control to function properly all observe same general
- Both have to maintain close contact with people i.e.
clients to inform about services and get feedback about
services. So public relations help them improve their
- Managerial techniques like skills of planning,
organization, coordination, control are same in both.
- Uniformity in accounts, filing, statistics and stocking.
- Principles of hierarchy.
- Influenced by practices and standards of each other.
- Problems faced in personal, finance and organization.
- Mutual exchange and rotation in personnel between the
The differences have limited applicability and so they are
two species with distinctive characteristics due to special
values and techniques.